Categories Analysis, Technology

Key takeaways from DocuSign’s (DOCU) Q4 2023 earnings report

In Q4, unadjusted profit benefited from higher interest income and income from other sources

DocuSign, Inc. (NASDAQ: DOCU), a leading provider of e-signature services, has been constantly increasing its market share by expanding the business into innovative areas like Contract Lifecycle Management. The digital signature market is estimated to grow to $48.4 billion by 2030 globally, representing a compound annual growth rate of 35.4%.

However, the macroeconomic challenges will be a hindrance to growth in the near term. Currently, DocuSign’s market capitalization is about $10.83 billion. The company’s top line grew by 14% to $659.6 million in the fourth quarter from $581 million a year earlier.  Earnings per share for the quarter was $0.02, compared to a loss of $0.15 per share in the year-ago fiscal quarter. Net income of $4.9 million benefited from higher interest income, and income from other sources. Adjusted EPS was $0.65, which is sharply higher than the $0.48 reported in the same period of the previous year.

Docusign Inc (DOCU) Q4 2023 Earnings Call Transcript

The contribution of Subscription revenue to the top line was 98% while Professional and Other revenues accounted for the remaining 2%. Fourth-quarter billings rose 10% to $739 million year-over-year. Together, cash, cash equivalents, restricted cash, and investments came in at $1.2 billion at the end of the quarter.

DocuSign Q4 2023 earnings infographic

In FY2023, the net loss widened to $0.49 per share on account of higher operating expenses – a 20% increase to 97.5 million. The management expects the current market headwinds to persist in the coming quarters. Adobe Inc. (NASDAQ: ADBE), DocuSign’s main rival that competes with the company for market share, will be reporting earnings this week.


The management forecasts that total revenues would be between $639 million and $643 million in the first quarter of 2024 — subscription revenue in the range of $625 million to $629 million. Billings are expected to be in the range of $615 million to $625 million. For fiscal 2024, the company estimates revenue to be between $2.695 billion and $ 2.707 billion, while full-year billings are expected to be in the $2.705-$2.725 billion range.

What Next?

Though the stock created a big hype in the early phase of the pandemic lockdown – climbing to an all-time high in 2021 – it is currently trading a dismal 83% below that peak. There is a probability of further downfall this year if the financial performance is weak in the coming quarters.  

Last week, DOCU fell about 19% soon after the earnings release. At the moment, it is advisable to follow a watch-and-wait policy, for investing. However, the industry has upside potential, and it is likely to stabilize once the market gyrations get over in the next few months.


Stocks you may like:

Apple (AAPL) Stock

Microsoft (MSFT) Stock

Alphabet (GOOGL) Stock

International Business Machines Corp. (IBM) Stock


Most Popular

DG Earnings Preview: What to look for when Dollar General reports Q3 results

Discount store chain Dollar General Corporation (NYSE: DG) will be reporting third-quarter results next week. Operating nearly 20,000 stores across the US, it is one of the largest supermarket chains

Dollar Tree (DLTR): A few points to note about the discount retailer’s Q3 performance

Shares of Dollar Tree, Inc. (NASDAQ: DLTR) were up over 1% on Thursday. The stock has dropped 13% year-to-date. The discount retailer delivered third-quarter 2023 earnings results that did not

KR Earnings: Key quarterly highlights from Kroger’s Q3 2023 financial results

The Kroger Co. (NYSE: KR) reported its third quarter 2023 earnings results today. Total company sales were $34 billion compared to $34.2 billion for the same period last year. Identical sales

Add Comment
Viewing Highlight