2018 has not been the best year for Huawei Technologies. The company was banned by several countries from their 5G development projects due to security concerns, with Japan being the most recent one. Here is a look at the countries that have blocked Huawei:
Japan
Japan is the latest country to ban networking equipment from Huawei and ZTE Corp. due to security concerns. Three Japanese carriers decided not to use 4G equipment or adopt new 5G hardware made by Chinese companies. These carriers will continue to sell phones and tablets made by Huawei and ZTE as the level of security risk from these devices is considered lower.
US
The US government banned its agencies from using Huawei and ZTE Corp. technology and excluded both companies from its 5G plans due to national security concerns over alleged links between Chinese firms and the Chinese government.
The US is said to have asked its allies to refrain from using Chinese telecom equipment citing risks of communications monitoring. The US reportedly offered financial benefits to those who sided with it on this matter while reducing assistance for those who chose otherwise.
Australia
In August, Australia banned Huawei and ZTE from being involved in the country’s 5G development efforts due to national security concerns. Australia had previously banned Huawei from one of its broadband-related projects.
New Zealand
In November, New Zealand barred its carrier Spark from using Huawei’s networking equipment for its 5G plans due to concerns over national security. However, the country is approaching this decision cautiously as it has a strong trade relation with China and is looking at options to reduce security risks, if any, rather than banning the Chinese firm completely.
New Zealand also dismissed claims that it was working under the influence of the US and Australia following their decisions to block Huawei.
UK
Earlier this month, British telecom firm BT Company said it will not use core technology from Huawei for its 5G network but will work with the Chinese firm in minor areas of its 5G infrastructure development.
BT said its decision was based on a routine business process and not due to concerns over national security. However, the head of British intelligence services said the UK would have to look more closely into the involvement of Chinese firms in 5G development.
Others
Canada is said to be mulling a similar prohibition following the arrest of Huawei’s CFO last week. Huawei has repeatedly refuted claims regarding security risks associated with its products and despite facing bans in several countries, the company remains positive over its work in 5G technology. Huawei has reportedly signed deals with over 20 countries, including France, for the development of 5G.
Follow our Google News edition to get the latest stock market, earnings and financial news at your fingertips.
Most Popular
LW Earnings: Key quarterly highlights from Lamb Weston’s Q3 2025 financial results
Lamb Weston Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: LW) reported its third quarter 2025 earnings results today. Net sales increased 4% to $1.52 billion compared to the same period a year ago. Net
CAG Earnings: Highlights of Conagra Brands’ Q3 2025 report
Conagra Brands, Inc. (NYSE: CAG), a leading provider of consumer packaged goods, reported a decrease in net sales and adjusted earnings for the third quarter of 2025. Net sales were
Fastenal Company (FAST) looks poised for a mixed start to FY25
Fastenal Company (NASDAQ: FAST) will report its first-quarter results on April 11, at 6:50 am ET. The company has been investing heavily to expand its digital footprint lately, and it
Comments
Comments are closed.